Tuesday, January 31, 2012

If You Were The Only Girl in the World

Lady Edith at the piano


         How could one make Downton Abbey any better other than by including a good old Broadway showstopper?  Apparently our American traditions are slowly leaking into the show.  Next thing you know they will be eating apple pie.  If You Were The Only Girl In The World was written in 1916 by Clifford Grey and Nat D. Ayer.  It was originally sung in the musical The Bing Boys are Here as a duet. Just as in the season two episode, the song became a symbol of escape from the reality of war.

        Only segments of the song made it into the episode sung by Michelle Dockery and the cast.  Here are the rest of the lyrics, so the next time you are humming it to yourself you can complete the song.  I'll admit I've already been spotted in my apartment singing it while doing dishes.

Sometimes when I feel bad
and things look blue,
I wish a pal I had... say one like you.
Someone within my heart to build a throne,
Someone who'd never part, to call my own.
 
 
If you were the only girl in the world
and I were the only boy,
Nothing else would matter in the world today
We could go on loving in the same old way.
 
 
A garden of Eden just made for two,
With nothing to mar our joy.
I would say such wonderful things to you
There would be such wonderful things to do
If you were the only girl in the world
and I were the only boy.