Monday, February 20, 2012

Good, Old-Fashioned Dust Up

Matthew Crawley and Richard Carlisle slug it out while Lady Mary
grants them appropriate facial expressions.

Dust-up: British slang term for a scuffle or a fight. 

Nothing makes me smile more than two prim, proper British gentlemen trying to fight it out over a woman.  I can pass over the American, highly-choreographed Hollywood fights and the "people get hurt in accidents but we think it is funny" category on Youtube.  Just give me a fight where the actors admit they will never look bold and brave, where they are just willing to put a ridiculous dust-up on film.  Just as Hugh Grant and Colin Firth brought a smile to my face and a shudder to their stunt coordinator in the second Bridget Jones' Diary, so Matthew and Sir Richard's fight on the finale of season two made me smile.  And then Dame Maggie Smith came on the screen and I do believe I laughed out loud.